Saturday, February 17, 2018

Power of #classroombookaday


I'm feeling lost, angry, scared, and so many other emotions, as I'm sure so many of you are as well in the wakes of the Parkland tragedy. This morning I opened Twitter and started to read and learn about the teenagers who are bravely fighting. My heart started to open up. Only a mere few days after they have lost friends, teachers, and siblings, they are not giving up hope. Within the articles and tweets I read, there were also comments that praised the teens but at the same time made mention to the kids doing what adults should have done in the first place. Then plenty of other posts that spoke to these teenagers changing history.

Reading these articles and comments bring me back to the importance of #classroombookaday and my role as an educator. Every time I close, a #classroombookaday book, I hear myself saying or thinking the words, history repeats itself and you boys and girls are part of the change. You all have the power! Every moment, of every day, you children, have the power to make a difference. Even if it’s through a simple gesture, smile, or invitation to be included.

It's in times like this tragedy, that I am reminded of the deep discussions my classroom had, when we read books like, “The Youngest Marcher”, “Let the Children March”, “The Other Side”, “Wishtree” “Shaking Things Up”, “The Story of Ruby Bridges” and so many more powerful titles. I am reminded of the difficult discussions had with the children in my classroom, about the strength of the children who fought, marched, and some who took on the roles of the adults. The bravery of the children who stood with or up to the adults and said we are innocent and can and will fight for our own beliefs and rights. Each #classroombookaday book leads us to discussions about kindness, including others, and how the books messages make us better children and adults. After every book is closed, I feel a little bit better in the fact that I and these books are making a difference.

The teenagers in Parkland need us to support them, believe in them, and show them that their fights can and will make a difference. Because history repeats itself, and as we have seen in our many #classroombookaday books, children do have the power to make a difference!

I encourage you to learn more about #classroombookaday from the brilliant Jillian Heise. Her website is classroombookaday.com. Thank you Jillian for introducing #classroombookaday to classrooms all over the world! 


No comments:

Post a Comment